Sunday, July 23, 2017

Ellen's Book-Tube-A-Thon 2017 TBR

I had so much fun making this video. In fact, it's the most fun I've had making a video ever.


Ellen's book-tube-a-thon 2017 tbr


I think I'm going to enjoy this year's challenges. They are...

  • Read a book with a person on the cover.

  • Read a book you picked up because of the cover.

  • Read a hyped book.

  • Read a book with a main character very different from you.

  • Read a book outside.

  • Read a book inside one day.

  • Read seven books.


why i chose the books i did


For the book with a person on the cover, I chose Longbourn. It's a retelling of Pride and Prejudice, from the perspective of the servants at Longbourn. I've heard that the book is underwhelming, but I want to decide for myself. I've read P&P maybe more than any book ever? 



I bought the play Equus at a Borders closing sale because of its cover. The horses eyes... become the man's nipples. I couldn't NOT buy it. Also, Daniel Radcliffe starred in a production of this and made a ton of headlines because he appeared in the nude.



 

I can't think of a more hyped YA book this year than The Hate U Give. Obviously it got a leg up in publicity because it deals with a massive issue in the US right now — police violence against black people, especially young black men. I've started reading this book already, but put it down for a long time. I want to finish it and decide if it's a strong book beyond its important subject matter.



Please Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock is about a boy who shoots up his school. So, that is the book I chose for an MC who is very different from me. It'll be interesting to get into the head of a homicidal teenager because after mass shootings, all we can think is 'why?'



I'm actually pretty pumped to read an entire book outside, because I haven't been tanning in years! It's hot as fuck outside right now, so I'll have bring out a cooler of La Croix. I can totally barbecue while I read, too. I plan to read The Hawkweed Prophecy, because it's about witches. Witches are tangential to nature which is tangential to the outdoors... am I right?



To read a book in a day, I'm going after Blue Is For Nightmares, which was recommended to me by a friend. It's one of her favorite books of all time, and she even got a tattoo commemorating it, so I simply have to love this one.



Finally, to close off my TBR at seven books, I picked Carve the Mark to round it all out. I've been wanting to finish this book for a while now. It got bashed by people who say it uses damaging racial stereotypes... but to be honest, what I've read about that seems... flimsy. I want to see for myself.


what books are on your book-tube-a-thon tbr?

2 comments: