Saturday, May 14, 2016

Discussion of the Captive Prince Series, by C. S. Pacat

C O N T A I N S     S P O I L E R S!!!


discussion of the captive prince seriesSomething occurred to me when I was writing my review of C. S. Pacat's Captive Prince a few weeks ago.  And that is, there is so much I want to talk about with people! However, I can't in good conscience recommend this book to the people in my day-to-day life, all so I can chat them up about it. The Captive Prince series, especially book one, is extreme and explores some very dark, very immoral themes in a disturbing manner.  I don't want to risk scarring people by foisting Captive Prince on them.  A recommendation of this series should come with a full disclosure. It brought me to the brink of total disgust and I consider myself to be a pretty liberal reader.  That being said, after I was finished with book one, which contains the lion's share of horrific material, I loved the series.  I want to talk about it with people, or, at the very least, share some of my thoughts. So here we go — a discussion of the Captive Prince series.

Book One Really Pushes It


In interviews C. S. Pacat is frequently asked about her boundary-pushing writing.  So far, from what I've read of her answers, Pacat seemed keen to disturb people.  That was utterly intentional on her part. She even admits to having written with her eyes averted from her screen, squeamish herself. So, what I haven't picked out yet is, why?  I understand wanting to elicit strong feelings in readers to create high emotional stakes... but was the explicit content in Captive Prince, Volume One necessary? Why did Pacat push it that far?  I was almost totally alienated by the content, which contains graphic sexual assault, rape, and torture, amongst many other things.

Here's my bottom line: I cannot love Captive Prince, Volume One like I do the rest of the series, because it was so goddamn disturbing.

I've tried to re-read book one, like I've done with books two and three, but I just can't manage it. I'm finished with that novel, and I can't make myself re-visit it.  Books two and three — I can read them over and over again.  But not Captive Prince. Despite this, I have to appreciate book one in many respects for laying the foundations for Prince's Gambit and Kings Rising. 

So here's my question: Did the boundary-pushing in Captive Prince, Volume One actually affect the emotional stakes for the rest of the series positively, or was it all gratuitous?

Laurent Has a Mysterious Backstory That Can Be Reconstructed


We find out in plain terms at the end of Kings Rising what was hinted at throughout the entire series — Laurent had a sexual relationship when he was a boy with his uncle, who is a pedophile.  Readers, we all saw that coming, right?  Throughout the books, Laurent is exhibits classic symptoms of having been abused and exploited at a young age.  There were countless small hints dropped and countless, heart-squeezing suggestions.

What shocked me, though, is when Laurent hints that he was partially complicit in the abuse. It's such a sad, wrenching backstory.

I found it somewhat frustrating that we never get a clear picture of what exactly happened to Laurent.  But, with some reflection, I found that Pacat had given us enough clues for us to put the story together.

Here's what I think happened, based off of evidence from the text:

Laurent's uncle, a pedophile, dialed in on a young Laurent as a potential victim from a time before Auguste's demise.  Auguste, for his part, protected Laurent from their uncle's manipulations while alive.  Upon Auguste's violent death, however, there was no one standing between Laurent and his uncle's dark agenda.  Desperate for comfort and affection, a young Laurent became complicit in a secret, sexual relationship with his uncle, the predator.  


Much like the regent's other young victims, Laurent became both enthralled by his uncle and coerced into a servile role.  After a number of years, however, the regent exchanged Laurent for a younger victim.  At first confused and disoriented, Laurent, with some distance from his uncle, gradually came to understand that he'd been exploited, by his own family and 'caretaker' no less... hence, his terrible thirst for revenge...


In the present, Laurent is still suffering the ill-effects of years of sexual and mental abuse. This explains, in full, Laurent's "virgin/whore" dichotomy, where he seems at once wholly bored by and exposed to sexuality, adroit at explicit verbal jabs, and yet, he is frigidly prudish to an infamous degree.


That's my idea of what happened.  Readers, does it align with your concept of Laurent's backstory?

Laurent's Relationship With Damen, His Brother's Killer, Starts Out Sick, Winds Up Surprisingly Healthy


From the age of thirteen, Laurent has been obsessed with 'Damianos,' the war hero of Akielos.  The reason why — Damianos bested Auguste, Laurent's older and beloved brother, in a single-combat deathmatch. Not only did Damen kill Auguste, but his victory ushered in the darkest period of Laurent's life.  Without his protector in Auguste, Laurent fell prey to his pedophilic uncle.

Even before the Regent, Damen of Akielos was Laurent's first enemy.  Fantasizing revenge, Laurent trained with the sword, learning both Veretian techniques and the Akielon style, all to one day seek Damianos out and avenge Auguste.

So when, ten months before Laurent's ascendancy to kingship, the new Akielon regime sends Damianos to Laurent in chains, Laurent is thrown.  At first, Laurent intends to toy with Damen like a mouse, aware than Damen thinks his identity is undiscovered.  However, Laurent reacts with rage and disgust when Damen makes a sexual overture, and has Damen flayed near to death.

Realizing that he's made a political error in gambling with Damen's life, Laurent decides to keep his slave and adversary alive.  In little time, however, Damen's character, sensitive, honorable, and so contrary to the dumb brute Laurent had expected, makes an impression on Prince of Vere. At the end of Captive Prince and throughout part of Prince's Gambit, Laurent decides to put some careful trust in the man who he used to loathe above all others. Over time, their camaraderie grows, with a romantic edge to boot.

When Laurent and Damen's relationship becomes sexual, near the end of book two, it comes as a shock to the reader, though not in the expected way. Damen was born into a homoerotic culture and has been lusting after Laurent since book one.  That there is lust and attraction on his side is not a shock. What's gripping is that Damen's identity has just been discovered by Jord, who gives Damen a deadline to get out of town. All of this deception is hanging like a guillotine and Damen has sex with Laurent anyway... Damen!

What's even more shocking is Laurent's complicity.  The reader has been shown outright that Laurent is frigid, and its been intimated that he's been sexually abused by his uncle.  To accept Damen as a lover is a marvelous personal step in letting himself heal and be vulnerable! Or so we think...

We find out in King's Rising, along with a blindsided Damen, that Laurent has known Damen as 'Damianos' from the first. Instead of Damen taking advantage of Laurent when they had sex, it was the other way around. Laurent!

After everything's out in the open, however, the two men actually move forward. It's hard to discern the point when, after everything, Laurent decides to earnestly pursue a relationship with Damen.  Most certainly, has already occurred when the two reunite in the sheets, after Laurent has interrogated the two-timing Jocaste, Damen's former lover and possible baby-mama.  The difference between that honest encounter and Damen and Laurent's first, manipulation-ridden rumble is palpably different. And from that point onward, Laurent becomes vulnerable and giving in leaps and bounds, much to a love-sick Damen's delight.

But when exactly did Laurent forgive Damen, put their history aside, and decide to love his former enemy?  Did it happen gradually, or was it a moment's decision?

The Identity of Damen, 'Damianos,'


A big theme in the books is the concept of dual identities. Yes, it's no mistake that Damen, 'Damianos,' has two names. So, did Damen become a slave during the course of the series, casting aside his former self? Or was he the Prince of Akielos all along?  The books seem to argue in favor of his being one person, with different facets.  Damen always had a generous and giving side — it grew and developed during his time as a slave — and yet, he also has unyielding integrity and the personal pride of a king.


Laurent gets a mighty share of recognition for being a complicated and faceted character, but in my opinion, Damen doesn't get enough credit.  He is a complex character in his own right. For instance...


Part of Damen's identity is 'Damianos,' Prince-Killer and jock lord.


His greatest hits:




  • Throwing a six-pound sword through the air to impale a man.

  • Besting an armed adversary with a wooden practice weapon, to the the astonishment of all present.

  • Shattering an opponent's shield with a single blow.

  • Being kicked in the nuts by Laurent during a bought, and carrying on through the blackout pain.

  • Winning victories in his army's athletic games, with nonchalance and a cheerful attitude.

  • Being recognized as 'Damianos, Prince-Killer' through his body-language on the battlefield.

  • Ripping a window out of a wall.


I have to say, I loved this character, especially during his 'jock moments.'  And I thought it was a great move on Pacat's part to have him be our narrator, even though she's intimated in interviews that she favors Laurent.  Damen is quite relatable, but also enough of a unique character and a powerful identity to make his narration vastly entertaining.

Who was your favorite of the two protagonists? Laurent? Or Damen?

These Books Are Going To Stay With Me


That's mainly what I have to say. Only over 1,600 words of raving. Haha! But if you're reading this, please, comment! I would LOVE to hear your own thoughts on this complicated, sexy, fantastic series.

16 comments:

  1. I haven't read this series but I'm glad you are enjoying it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a wild and wooly series, that's for sure! I did and do enjoy it, though I can't say I recommend it lightly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lord. Have you read Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty series? Talk about disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god, I can imagine. I had no idea that Rice took on that hot mess of a fairytale. I can only image what went down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I just stumbled onto this post about the Captive Prince series and thought it was insightful. I only recently finished the trilogy and just loved it.

    Regarding the first book, I think it is absolutely essential in laying the groundwork for the character growth for both Damianos and Laurent. While the book is brutal and violent, I felt it was necessary to depict in order for us to understand the environment that created Laurent, as he is when we meet him. It also helps us to better understand that, despite the environment and experiences he had growing up, inside he is still a noble and honorable person--somehow managing to hold onto those traits that he most admired about his brother. It gives the readers and Damianos a legitimate reason for falling in love with him (and to accept that Damianos has fallen in love with him).

    I think the author had to push the boundaries far in order for the redemption, salvation and love in the second and third books to be as aching and poignant as it turned out to be. If we only “heard” of the dark and wretched situation of Laurent’s experience in Vere, and not witnessed it firsthand, I think his character arc would have been less impactful. And the eventful sacrifice that he makes would appear less.

    I also think the title can refer to both Damianos (quite obviously) and Laurent (a little more subtle). In re-reading the first book, it’s clear that despite all appearances, Laurent is no freer than Damianos.

    For myself, I don’t know if I would have loved the trilogy (in particular books 2 and 3) as much as I do without having been as disturbed and horrified by book 1. I definitely feel the brutality of book 1 is in service to the larger story. It was redeemed towards the end by the slim thread of hope that there was something more for the two of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are fantastic insights, Jack! I so appreciate you taking the time to share your own take on Captive Prince. You definitely have given me food for thought. I think you're totally right that we needed to see the creepiness and nastiness of Laurent's formative environment for us to appreciate him fully as a character and understand and sympathize with him. I still can't help being overwhelmed by it all, but you've given me fresh respect for Pacat's first book in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ellen, wow. I'm a little giddy that you're still active. I'm a big fan of the books and haven't had a chance to discuss it with anyone. Haha. So glad to have shared some thoughts. Happy to continue if you're keen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We pretty much align in reconstructing Laurent’s childhood, his loss and subsequent abuse by his uncle. Perhaps the only difference in our assessment is the idea of “complicit”. I don't think young Laurent wanted anything sexual or physical, simple the need for family and comfort. I don’t think any child ever has any “responsibility” or “fault” in instances of abuse. That disgusting onus is solely on the adult.

    The Regent took a lost, lonely and heartbroken boy and twisted him so badly. Even as an adult, Laurent’s not completely free of the Regent’s sway. At least, until Damianos.

    As you say, it becomes more and more apparent in Laurent’s behavior and attitude about sex with Damianos over the course of the three books. I appreciated the subtlety in how this realization comes to Damen, finally breaking through during the Kingsmeet. This understanding brings home now much of a sacrifice Laurent is making for Damianos when he submits, kneels and begs in front of the Regent.

    The Regent is a dick. How did you feel about his just reward?

    I was glad it was over quickly and efficiently. But a small part of me wanted the Regent to pay slowly and excruciatingly. But I guess that would have meant he succeeded in twisting Laurent into something ugly and vengeful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to keep chatting! About the Regent, I do wish his death had been more terrible, to fit his crimes. But you have a good point that it would have said something about Laurent's recovery, or lack thereof. Pacat has reasons behind every decision in her series, so I trust that she considered many ways of how to deal with the Regent and then chose her best option. Have you read any interviews or listened to her youtube chapter breakdowns? They give a ton of insight into her writing process. She's an incredibly methodical and intentional writer, which I greatly admire.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I kind of replied to this comment above, but I do want to ask you, what are your favorite parts of the series? For some reason, I love the military games chapter in book 3. I think it's a great character study moment for Damen, because his old self and his new self have really united, and you get to see his old freinds' reactions to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No, I haven't read/heard any of the interviews with Pacat. I'll have to track them down for a little lunch time listening then.

    I've read some of her essays on her website. It's insightful. Even from her writing, it's evident that she is very deliberate. I appreciate that so much. It requires me to pay deeper attention to her writing, her word choice, what she puts down and what she does not. I'm a big fan.

    I'm eager to read more from her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm…favorite parts from the series? Well, practically any scene that involved both Damianos and Laurent. Haha.

    From Book 1:
    The scene when Laurent first sees/meets Damianos. In the first read, you think Laurent’s just stunned by the type of slave he is given (mirroring what Guion expresses in the prologue). In re-reading it, you know straightaway that Laurent recognizes who Damen is. And possibly that he didn’t expect to find Damen attractive.

    The wrestling scene in the arena against Govart (and the potential rape). I think this was the first time Laurent gets a glimpse of the power and strength of Damianos…as well as an insight into the man during their exchange about slaves. These sow the seeds of internal conflict in Laurent, giving him pause.

    That moment in the baths was intense and intimate. With painful results.

    Damen rescuing Laurent from assassination and the entire exchange they had. That was guarded but also foreshadowing so much to come.

    From Book 2:
    That fight between Laurent and Govart. This was the first time Damen gets an understanding of Laurent’s ability and prowess. Even though he knew Laurent was capable of protecting himself (against the assassin in book 1), it’s here that he understands that Laurent is martial.

    That moment of pure rage Damen feels when he sees one of the marauders hit Laurent. That whole entire fight scene against the hill tribe when they’re fighting together. Which ends with the scene in the tent and the ice pack. It was fantastic to see the fragile beginnings of trust and respect and intimacy.

    That first (barely) kiss that was interrupted. And then the get together.

    Damen choosing to keep the left cuff.

    The argument and fight about Charcy. That was vicious but so insightful about how Laurent operates. In the re-read it was even more apparent what his intent was versus his words. And Damen was able to decipher all of it. The loyalty on display throughout this entire scene kills me.

    The entire lead up and eventual courtyard reveal of Damianos was thrilling. Wow! It was very cinematic in my head.

    Book 3:
    Pretty much everything in book 3. Haha.

    But yeah, that okton was one of the best and most thrilling moments. The follow up was fantastic…from the griva to the drunken admissions and all the emotional things that came with it.

    When Damianos does not aver about being kept as a slave by Laurent and refusing to hide his cuff.

    The violent fight between Damen and Laurent. That admission by Laurent that he was not good enough to defeat Damianos was so good. But not as good as when Damianos informed Laurent he could have disarmed Laurent at any time he was a slave.

    The Kingsmeet scene. All the disturbing twists and turns, but mainly because we see the depth of Damianos’ love and loyalty. And that it takes eight men to hold him down as he tries to get to Laurent.

    Holding the center. It was one kingdom, once.

    (Um...wow, I kinda fanboyed way too much there....)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your comments on this series. I agree with you that this series is so good you want to talk about it! But its content is not something you can easily chat with people (coz we don’t know how they will feel about it). I would say I am a liberal reader so it doesn’t disturb it much. I love Laurent!!!! He is brilliant and towards the end, when he was more open, I just want a happy ending for him.

    About Laurent’s past with the Regent, it is hard for me to accept the fact that I have the same thoughts as you. I don’t want to admit that Laurent let his uncle did what he did but it is logical, being the youngest child, he must have wanted love and affection, no matter how he gain it. Poor Laurent, my baby😭😭😭😭

    ReplyDelete
  14. Am. rereading the series and just started book 3. I just can't get over Laurent telling Damen that he "endured" sleeping with Damen as part of his strategy. I just won't believe that's all it was to him, or that it was even the main reason for their night together! I won't!! Why wasn't Damen telling him "It won't work" like he did at the end of book 2 when Laurent was spewing hurtful shit? What happened to make Laurent turn so cold in his negotiations with Damen about Delpha? Damen is right if he had asked they could have worked it out. why didn't he? Of course Laurent must be conflicted about Damen killing Auguste but why was he mad *now*, in that first scene together? Did Laurent orchestrate being. captured by Guion and do he really never intend on making it to the battle at Charcy? Damen is confident it wasnt planned but he's in love with Laurent so I don't know if I trust his judgment. I felt Laurent had come so far in book 2 being able to tell Damen he reminded Laurent of Auguste, who was the best man he knew, and that Damen should have been his captain from the start.. the trust he put into him.. the ability to say "you're better at strategy than I am teach me" and of course allowing them to have sex. so much tension in Laurent it was clear even the first time I read this that much of that was bc his. one "lover" had been the gross uncle and he was still recovering from that. I felt a lot of that progress was taken away when Laurent threw it all back in Damen's face, I really felt he was lying when he said it was strategy. it's times like this I want to read from. Laurent's pov. Help me understand you, Laurent! use your Words! Damen isn't the only one hurting right now! I love pacats writing style in that she doesn't decipher things for you a lot of the time she just describes things and let's you determine what's up. I love scenes with Charls the cloth Merchant. love when Damen and Laurent have lighter moments. I love when Damen thinks "like a girl" and can't stop thinking about how he was just kissing Laurent or that his hand was in Laurent's hair. love Laurent is always 12 steps ahead. I'm. not much for strategy so. I just go along for the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Perhaps the only difference in our assessment is the idea of “complicit”. I don’t think young Laurent wanted anything sexual or physical, simple the need for family and comfort. I don’t think any child ever has any “responsibility” or “fault” in instances of abuse. That disgusting onus is solely on the adult."
    I feel in this case (and in truth, many cases), it's not whether the child is or isn't complicit, it's whether they *believe* that they are. Because you're right, it is entirely the blame of the adult in such a situation. But any child can believe that they brought it in themself somehow, with just a few choice words (and you know that the Regent would have been the type to do so). Things like, "You were the one to come to *me* for comfort" or "I never forced you, I only ever asked if you were willing to try" or "Don't you understand how happy this makes me, to be close to you?" And even when you can objectively view those manipulations from the perspective of an adult, they can still have a subconscious impact that may take years to shake. And you know that Laurent's clearly had to work through all of this on his own, given the lack of common knowledge on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just finished my fifth reread of the series. Just like you, I love their story and can’t get enough of it.
    The first book is gruesome and the worst first impression of Laurent but, just like some have mentioned, without this background drawn so vividly the reader wouldn’t feel the rawness of the moments were Laurent shows kindness and his sweet self.
    Regarding Laurent’s encounters with the Regent, I think he was less complicit more mislead. Children are gullible and he was no exception, even if Laurent is portrayed as a very intelligent person, the viper of uncle he had took total advantage of that and after that made him believe he was at fault, I know Laurent is aware of how it wasn’t due to his rational nature but can’t help feeling part of the blame.
    Now for Laurent’s bloom of feelings I have my theory. I like to think that when Damen threw the sword to save him in the woods that was the breaking point. He came to terms with his feelings towards Damen and decided to embrace them until they parted ways forever.
    After the fight in Charcy Laurent was still recovering from that near death experience with Govart plus the identity of Damianos being in the open, the latter being a cruel public reminder of whom he was falling for and the sick implications. This turmoil was the reason he became ice cold again, in my opinion, he shamed himself I bet and treated Damen with the hostility from the first book to keep him at bay and cease the relationship they “foolishly” wanted.
    But ice melted when Damen helped him while drunk, that vulnerability that wasn’t abused gave him what was needed to be reminded that now Damianos was more than the past to him and being so close to his death (for example the thought of Mellos being “their last night together”) he could succumb to his feelings.

    ReplyDelete