Wednesday, June 15, 2016

These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly » Book Review

I am in awe of how this book made me feel. Ellen believes that it doesn't compare to Donnelly's A Northern Light, so I'm very excited to pick that one up soon and see how These Shallow Graves will measure up against Donnelly's most critically-acclaimed work.

At first glance, I expected it to be a run-of-the-mill mystery with a throwaway romance. In fact, as I was reading, I had picked out a quote that I thought would impeccably sum up the cheesiness of the romance.

"He can only break my ribs, Jo, not my heart."


Nauseating... am I right??

But I was forced to eat my words. As I accompanied Jo on her various jaunts through the city and witnessed her life through her eyes, I realized how similar she and I are (or were). I mentioned briefly in my introduction post about living in a rural part of India during some of my teen years. I lived with my grandmother, mother, baby sister and our maid under strict lock-and-key. Young girls were not to be out and about unaccompanied, let alone be out past twilight. There were rules about proper behavior, who I was allowed and not allowed to socialize with. And by god, I was not to tarnish the family's reputation. Her struggles, were my struggles.

“Why is it, she wondered now, that boys get to do things and be things and girls only get to watch?”


I loved Jo, because she is a realistic character. Even the romance (which I initially scoffed at), and the love triangle (which as a rule, I utterly detest) didn't drive her story. It just happened to be her life. As a young heiress, she was expected to wed, and wed well. It is her love for her father, and her noble notion of justice that drives her story of personal growth. While she made romantic decisions that I thought were hasty or foolish, they remained true to who she is. And above all, there were realistic consequences for her decisions. Her poor choices and in turn, the reactions of the characters around her helped her evolve and understand herself better, and in turn, make better decisions for herself in the future.

“You, on the other hand, wish to know things. And no one can forgive a girl for that.”


“That was what people did when they wanted to stop a girl from doing something—they shamed her.”


I also was very pleased with Nellie Bly as an inspirational figure to Jo. Nellie Bly is a reporter that Jo admires both for her accomplishments in a male-dominated field of journalism as well as her compassion for the 'invisible' people that pass through New York City. It hits me close to home because THIS is why it is so important to have women and minorities (of any kind, whether it is race or gender or sexual orientation) have such important roles in society. They inspire current and future generations to follow their path and further their path. Nellie Bly is the reason that Jo developed her strong sense of ethics, which I greatly admired.

“Headstrong is just a word, Katie - a word others call you when you don't do what they want.”


I'm sure some of you are curious about why I am gushing so much about this book since I didn't give it a full 5 or even 4.5 stars. That had to do with the mystery element and the pacing of it. Perhaps I have simply watched too many crime shows and read too many books and hence can spot a red herring a mile away. I figured out who the villain was within the first third of the book. I had guessed everything, except for one important surprise. However, I still enjoyed Jo's and Eddie's adventures mainly because they took me all around New York and it was fascinating to be there. My favorite scene occurred when Jo was walking along a bridge (maybe the Brooklyn bridge..?) with a friend, and I could just picture how exhilarating that must have been. I think that's the wonderful thing about historical fiction for me, when compared to fantasy. It's easier for me to picture and imagine that this actually happened. The next time I go to New York, I will walk alongside a bridge and smile to myself as I picture Fay and Jo Montfort.

“We who have means and a voice must use them to help those who have neither. Yet how can we help them if we don't even know about them? And how can we know about them if no one writes about them? Is it so wrong to want to know things?”

15 comments:

  1. I think it's amazing how your experience living with strict restrictions in rural India enhanced your understanding of this novel. It really made me think about "girl-power" books in a new light. For me, they've become somewhat run-of-the-mill. (Girls are badass, lah dee dah.) But you helped me understand that for many girls and women, all over the world, their rights, liberties, and realities are still constricted to small spheres. Books like these, one's I've sadly grown inured to, still have an element of wonder for girls who've truly experienced restriction of their freedom. From now on, I'm going to appreciate that when I read books like These Shallow Graves and try to tap into that wonder once again. This is a wonderful, wonderful review, Sierra, and I don't say that flippantly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently just got a copy of this book! Glad to hear you liked it. I'm wary to hear there's a love triangle but it sounds like it's not too bad??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked this, I did too. It was a nice blend of genres.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, thank you Ellen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really isn't! Like I said, it's more a matter of circumstance than books where the heroine just can't decide because she loves them both SO MUCH and everytime either of them kiss her, she swoons -_-.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, Sierra! I've had my eye on this book. I expected it would really take off, but I actually haven't heard all that much about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to read this one since I've seen it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you read her Revolution? You should get on that. In any case, I need to read my copy of this book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found that quite surprising too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you get to it so we can compare notes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. No I haven't!! I look forward to picking that one up :). Thanks for the rec, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you could enjoy this book so much and that it meant a lot to you to read it. Jo sounds like a wonderful character and as if she really made the book what it was to you. I've got this one on my TBR and I'm looking forward to trying it myself sometime :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you get a chance to read it soon! I'd love to hear your thoughts on it as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. […] 3. These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly Full Review HERE […]

    ReplyDelete