Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Paper Princess » Book Review

Whaaaaaaaat on earth did I just read? And why, oh why, did I like it so??? This isn't quality literature by any means. Ellen described it as having a jaunt through the gutter in her review (here), and I'd have to agree.

I think of Paper Princess as having consumed a Big Mac from McDonalds. You bite into it, and it's delicious and you crave more. But after it's over, you're left with a faint feeling of nausea and/or disgust but also may have developed a mini-addiction to it.

Ella, our Paper Princess


Our main character, Ella, has been supporting herself since her mom's death by stripping. She is a focused student living in abject poverty so as to avoid the foster care system and get herself into college. In walks Callum, her father's best friend, who wants to take her into his mansion so she can live in luxury and comfort with his five teenage boys.

She resists as much as she can, but she ultimately decides that this is what is best for her and tries to make the most out of her situation. And I LOVED her for it. She is a survivor.

The Royal Brothers


THEY ARE ASSHOLES. Actually everyone in the story is an asshole. But we shall focus on our five boys. The oldest is Gideon, who's usually away at college but comes back on weekends. He seems nice enough. Reed is next, and he is the one to be obeyed. He also happens to be Ella's love/lust interest. Then we have Easton, followed by the twins, Sebastian and Sawyer.

Easton was my favorite brother, because he had the most genuine brother/sister relationship with Ella. And I'm a sucker for those kinds of relationships. Probably because I've always wanted an older brother. Instead I ended up with a baby sister and a baby brother that I'm basically another mom to. Thanks parents.

Have I mentioned that the brothers are assholes? No?

ASSHOLES.

But they come around. Sort of.

And then, you kind of fall for them as characters.

I don't know how or why it happened. But now I kind of love them all. Please don't judge me.

Recommend?


This reads like a fast-paced, slightly better written version of Fifty Shades with less creepy characters for the new adult genre. If you are in any kind of a reading slump, I would tell you to pick this up. I guarantee you that you'll read it one sitting.

All I can say is that Ellen and I are eagerly anticipating the next installment.

We also have a spoilery discussion post coming up. Stay tuned!

10 comments:

  1. I've seen this cover around but hadn't read any of the reviews until now. I seriously was not expecting for this to be the plot. It looks like a fun-filled YA fantasy from the cover. o.O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ughhhh. I don't have time for these kind of books but man, I do enjoy a romp in the gutter from time to time. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. […] Paper Princess by Erin Watt (The Royals #1) My Full Review HERE Ellen’s Full Review HERE Spoilery Discussion […]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes there are books that you just really don't want to like, but you end up liking them, and you can't help it! It's great that the main character is a survivor, but I don't think I would be able to stand the royal brothers for that long...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You almost had me up until Fifty Shades... ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know right?? This is the very definition of 'don't judge a book by its cover'. The gutter lurks within it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, I feel the same way! I rarely read these sorts of books, but I'm now hooked on this series, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's what I thought too! I still hate them but sort of love them at the same time. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, fair enough. I've actually never read Fifty Shades all the way through. I had to stop a few chapters in because I just couldn't stand it anymore. But hey, I made it through this one. So that has to say something, right? Or maybe my tastes have devolved over time... :P

    ReplyDelete