Monday, July 18, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: 10 Books Set Outside the USA

top ten tuesdayTop Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!


This week's topic is not for the xenophobic. Time to take a trip around the world!







Sierra's Top 10 Books set outside the USA


Saving Francesca · Melina Marchetta


savingfrancesca
Melina Marchetta is a fabulous contemporary author from Australia. If you haven't read any of her books I highly encourage you to do so! Saving Francesca is set in Sydney, Australia. It deals with some heavy topics like depression but does in a very realistic manner.


The Piper's Son · Melina Marchetta


The Piper's Son
Another Marchetta book set in Sydney, Australia. You guys are lucky I haven't read more of her contemporaries. Half this list would have been exclusively dedicated to her. The Piper's Son is the sequel to Saving Francesca from the perspective of a different character.


A Time to Dance · Padma Venkatraman


A Time to Dance


This book is about a Bharatanatyam dancer who has a horrific injury that prevents her from pursuing her life-long passion. It's a book written in verse (set in Chennai, India), which makes it a quick read, but still allows us to connect to the main character. As an ex-Bharatanayam dancer myself, I could feel and see the rhythms of our classical music and dance weaved throughout the novel. A wonderful read.


I am Malala · Malala Yousafzai & Christina Lamb


iammalala2
This is a non-fiction memoir set primarily in the Swat valley of Pakistan. Malala is a Nobel Peace Prize recipient for her efforts in raising awareness world-wide for the empowerment and education of girls.


The Alex Rider series · Anthony Horowitz


stormbreaker
This is an old childhood favorite of mine. Looking back, I realize how implausible the story is. But I loved Alex Rider, I wanted to BE Alex Rider (reluctant teen spy) as he saved the world. It was also my first introduction into the foray of fan fiction!


Harry Potter series • J.K. Rowling


harry potter and the philosopher's stone
London! And wherever Hogwarts seems to be located. I realize I am starting to veer into the fantastical. But I am running out of contemporary options, so bear with me :).


The Mahabharata · Anonymous


mahabharatha
This is India's most famous epic story. I believe it is the longest story that ever exists. The famous Bhagavad Gita is actually an excerpt from this book. Crazy right? It's the story of two sets of royal cousins, their adventures, their mishaps, their marriages, and their children. This Penguin edition is an adaptation. The full editions that my grandfather owned included 19 thick (encyclopedic) volumes.


The Ocean at the End of the Lane · Neil Gaiman


The ocean at the end of the lane
This is the Goodreads Choice Winner of 2013. A wonderful short introduction to Neil Gaiman's writing style if you're not ready to commit to one of his longer works. I always recommend this one and The Graveyard Book. This story takes place in Sussex, England and reads like a dream. Confusing, but powerful.


Code Name Verity · Elizabeth Wein


Code Name Verity
This is a historical fiction novel set in the World War II, focusing on 2 English girls who are sent to France. It is pretty universally well-loved, with the exception of Ellen (lol). Some of the description of aircraft and flying technique could bore readers. However, I can attest to their accuracy as a pilot and aviation history buff.


The Divine Comedy: Inferno · Dante Alighieri


inferno
Admittedly, this is quite the cheeky pick :P. But c'mon! What better setting could there be, than HELL itself? I personally don't believe in that notion but I know others do. So I shall count it on my list.







We can't wait to see what your picks are! Let us know below and/or link to your own TTT post. Happy Tuesday everyone!

8 comments:

  1. I also have A Time to Dance on my list. I love that book. The thing I like best about it is how it introduces many cultural and religious aspects of Indian culture unknown to me. I recommend to students all the time to read. I also considered Code Name Verity. What a fantastic book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED reading Coraline by Neil Gaiman, and I want to read more of his books! Everyone seems to have read and loved The Ocean At The End of The Lane, so I guess I can try that one next! Great TOP TEN@! :D My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cheeky pick of The Inferno! And Saving Francesca is one of my all time favourite books. I wish I had a Will of my own :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Ocean at the End of the Lane is one of my favorites! Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to hear that you enjoyed both books too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please do! I'd love to know what you think of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, I LOVE Will!! And thank you for appreciating my Inferno pick :P. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! I re-read it every once in a while for nostalgic purposes. I adore Gaiman in every way.

    ReplyDelete