Wednesday, July 13, 2016

The Witch Hunter » Book Review

Disappointed doesn't even begin to cover my range of emotions upon completion of The Witch Hunter. I wanted to love it! I was completely ready to jump on the bandwagon. But I sadly could only wave as the bandwagon passed me by along its journey to the squealing fandom.

Elizabeth - Our Witch Hunter


The setting of the book isn't anything new, surprising or special. Our main character is Elizabeth and she happens to be a witch hunter. She is pretty damn good at her job but unfortunately gets accused of witchcraft herself. Whoops.

Luckily she gets rescued! Unfortunately it's by a wizard. That isn't going to do her reputation any good.

I really enjoyed the first 100 or so pages of the book. But I quickly started losing interest after that. I can't exactly explain why. Maybe it's because I had left my hotel in Ohio and I could no longer read by the pool. Maybe the first 100 pages were only made interesting by the fact that I had THIS to look at (via bookishpeach @ Instagram).

Pool
I genuinely liked Elizabeth. She was strong, hard-working, and loyal. However, most of the characters surrounding her seemed dull and lifeless. Call me crazy, but it got to the point where I felt that book was seeping energy OUT of me.

Romance


We do have a teensy love triangle in the works. It didn't bother me too much because the two love interests were kept separate from each other and there wasn't a whole lot of mooning on Elizabeth's part. Her first love interest is Caleb. He introduced her to Blackwell and the world of witch-hunting but can't seem to see Elizabeth as anything other than a sister or a dear friend. So we do have some pining to deal with. Luckily it wasn't overwhelming and I found it quite relatable (since I do occasionally find myself in the pining stage as well).

piningforyouThen we have John, the healer. I liked him, he seemed nice and sweet. But I FELT nothing. I wanted a romance that I could really get behind, something I could root for. All I felt was a lot of 'meh'.

Our Crew & Villain


I'm lumping these two categories together because I have the same complaint.

ifeelnothing(Just so you guys know, I recited the rest of the lines in my head)


Elizabeth ends up going on a quest with a John, George and some girl whose name I can't remember because of a prophecy. What a wonderful opportunity for me to fall in love with these characters!


Nope. NOTHING. I have NO feelings.


We instead end up at a really bizarre juvenile party that reminded me a terrible YA high school contemporary instead of a fantasy story with real stakes. The change in tone really threw me off and I couldn't make myself recover from that.


Onto our villain, Blackwell. He was SO BORING. Nothing about his character surprised me at all. Apparently, I had guessed the big reveal right after reading the synopsis (which I must say, must be some kind of record for me). He was just a standard villain. There was nothing interesting about him.


There wasn't anything interesting about anyone, really.


giphy


I do have the next book, The King Slayer, already checked out from the library. I will probably give it a go in a few days just so I can complete this duology. Maybe it will be a little better than The Witch Hunter.


I know some of my blogger friends out there really enjoyed this one. I'M SORRY GUYS! I really did try, I promise.


PS: There is NO political intrigue. Absolutely none. Don't fall for the Game of Thrones comparison!

9 comments:

  1. I'm sad you didn't like this more but I completely understand at the same time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad you didn't care for this one. I'd like to try it eventually, but I've been putting it off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww I'm definitely sad you didn't enjoy this one. For me, this is one of those books that took me by surprise. I had no expectation of any sort and I ended up loving it. Hopefully you'll like the sequel more :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really bummed about it too! I remembered that you loved it so I was even more disappointed.
    I'm going to give myself a little break from the series and hope I enjoy the second one :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you enjoy it if you do end up trying it. I really liked that it was a duology which is why I picked it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that's too bad. I remember enjoying this book. Surprising really, because I don't usually enjoy these kinds of books. I guess you're not continuing on with the series?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I HAVE A PROBLEM JOY. I almost always continue with the series anyway. At least this one is only a duology so I'd just have one more to read. I did already borrow it from the library though, so I will end up making myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eeeh! I have this book! It sounds like you really did give it a fair chance and tried it out though you just couldn't love it. I guess that is what it is *shrugs* A shame though, for you.

    ReplyDelete