Monday, June 27, 2016

Spring 2016 Offerings From Penguin Teen

penguin spring 2016 samplerPlease bear with us while Sierra and I attempt to raise our NetGalley feedback ratios.  I got this sampler from Penguin Teen back when there was still snow on the ground and yep, I'm just now getting around to posting a review of it. Fortunately, all the featured books have been released, so there will be no waiting around if you see a title that piques your interest!


The featured books are The Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman, Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys, Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton, Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke, and The Passion of Dolssa by Julie Berry.







The Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman


dark days club

See my full review HERE. I gave The Dark Days Club 3 stars.


Alison Goodman’s The Dark Days Club is a historical-paranormal set in the Regency period.  It’s about an orphan of high birth, who discovers that she’s from a line of demon hunters.


There was very little about this novel that spoke to me.  I didn't connect with the main character, I thought the plot was disengaging, and, worst of all, I found some parts downright silly.


As much as I love the Regency period, Alison Goodman's novel couldn't capture my attention.  I finished reading the book, but not with any sense of enjoyment.

 

  Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys


salt to the sea

 I've heard such good things about Salt to the Sea.  Unfortunately, I've never finished a Sepetys book.


I stopped listening to Between Shades of Grey out of plain disinterest I guess, which really bothers me, because I feel like I need to read that book.  It's about extremely important subject matter — the brutal mistreatment of the Lithuanian people during the 1940's. As for Out of the Easy, well, I don't feel so bad about abandoning that one.  I hated the writing.


Now, part of me is a little worried that I just don't connect to Sepetys' style, which I hope isn't true. I really do plan on reading Between Shades of Grey and Salt to the Sea. Really.


REALLY!!!



 Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton


rebel of the sands

See my full review HERE. I gave Rebel of the Sands 3 stars.

Rebel of the Sands has one of the best opening chapters that I've seen in a long time.  Why oh why, then, did that promise turn to dust with each passing page?

When I first read this sampler, my excitement could hardly be contained.  I read Rebel of the Sands the day it came out.  But sadly, I grew more and more morose as the story progressed because I wasn't engaged.

Now, I know that not everyone agrees with me. Many reviewers adored this book.

But I also know that I'm not alone in thinking that the plot sagged.

 Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke


wink poppy midnight

Read my full review HERE. I gave Wink Poppy Midnight 3.5 stars.

 

liked this book! It was weird, plotless, and I will probably never revisit it, but I was really taken for a ride while reading it and I enjoyed the journey.

The story, what there is of it, follows three teens and the dark games they play with each other. A standout character for me was the popular and conniving Poppy.  I adored her character arc. Wink and Midnight... I didn't connect to them so much.

I recommend this book, as it's a short read and highly polarizing! If anything, you'll come away from this book with an opinion.

(On a side note — potentially the best part of this book is the amazing cover.  I seriously want it to be a poster on my wall. It is beautiful.)

The Passion of Dolssa by Julie Berry


passion of dolssaNow, I've already begun The Passion of Dolssa. I started listening to the audiobook, but returned it to Audible because the narrators weren't to my liking.  However, I loved the prose and intend on picking the book up again soon!

The story takes place during the Inquisition and follows a girl, Dolssa, who has a fascinating relationship with Jesus Christ.  Dolssa is visited by Jesus, in a way that's... sort of romantic? In any case, Dolssa shares her visions with people and becomes a cultish figurehead, in no small part because she is incredibly charismatic.  So of course, the Inquisition comes knocking at her door.

I can't wait to pick this story up again! Kudos to Penguin Teen for taking a chance on such a different kind of book.

 




Readers, have you read any of these books yet?

4 comments:

  1. I'm going through a 2016 release rampage at my local library. I have The Dark Days Club and Rebel of the Sands on hold for me. It's great to have access to some of these samplers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed The Dark Fays Club definitely want to see more of the author. I also want to pick up my copy of Rebel of the Sands, as well. Hopefully, I'll like it! :)

    I have totally missed The Passion of Dolssa - I'll have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you like the book, too!! Only rarely do I wish another reader to not enjoy a book. Or wait... have I ever not wanted a person to enjoy a book??? Let me reassess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last week's TTT getting under your skin, eh, Sierra? No problems here. Read those 2016 books, girl!

    ReplyDelete