Saturday, January 10, 2015

Where I've Been and Where I'm Going



It's been some time since I've posted!  The reason is slightly embarrassing.  I've been sulking.  A number of weeks ago I was about to get a job I was hugely excited over.  I was essentially told that I'd be employed in early January.  Then, my would-be employers changed their minds and hired somebody else.  I was... demoralized and deflated, to say the least. This, compounded by other matters, caused a little breaking point, I think. So, I went traveling. First to Iowa, to visit my sister and brother-in-law.  Then overseas, the day after Christmas, to Hastings, England to visit my aunt.  Now I'm in Florida, for family vacation.  I'm wandering.  I show no signs of stopping.  In fact, this May I'll be traveling to Amicalola Falls State Park in Georgia to begin a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail.

The Appalachian Trail is 2,185 miles long and meanders through 14 eastern states — Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Maine.  It ought to take me around five to seven months to complete... around half a year.  My friend Anna and I have been chattering about hiking the Appalachian Trail for a long time.  We were supposed to hike the trail last summer, but this plan fell through for a whole barge-full of reasons. However, the stars are aligning for us in 2015.  It's actually happening this year!

I am beyond excited for this expedition.  May cannot get here fast enough!  I've begun to plan like a maniac in the meantime, researching gear, combing the forum on WhiteBlaze.com, and reading scores of trail journals.  I've also been thinking about this blog, and what a potential six month absence will mean for it.  I decided that I simply couldn't let my baby fall by the wayside.  I'll be updating from the trail, whenever wifi presents itself or by using precious data minutes.

I will be taking my kindle with me OF COURSE, and will write book reviews, but I also thought I'd shift gears a little bit and post my trail journal as well.  It's sort of a weird jump.  This is a book blog after all.  At first I thought to start another, separate blog where I'd post about my Appalachian adventure.  Then, I considered the nature of this blog.  It is a book blog, but I also named it Quest Reviews, in salute to the vicarious adventures I've had my entire life through reading.  Now, I'm going on a real quest!  I'm so excited to share it with you guys!

I've done a good deal of reading whilst sulking, so expect a slew of reviews in the next few days!

7 comments:

  1. Ellen,

    Found your site in WB post wishing you the best of luck on the A.T.. My wife and I start April 6th. We hope you find what you are looking for in your quest as the trail is a magical place.

    3 Mile and Little D
    aka Fred and Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh that sucks, Ellen. But hey, your adventures will definitely fit your blog name. Good luck and happy trails! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww so sorry to hear you didn't get that job :( Good luck and have fun on your adventure :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is great to see you back Ellen!!! :] I'm so sorry to hear about the failed job. But, your plans for this year sound amazing! I think it is a brilliant idea, to post from the trail and I can't wait to follow you on that journey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man! Your life is really kicking off, huh? :D I'm really sorry to hear about your job, I have no idea what its like to go through that as I'm still at school, but still, I hope you're okay! But man what a reaction! Good luck on your travels, girl!! Be sure to send us a twitter postcard ^_^
    If you have time during your travels for writing something a little different, I've tagged you in the Reader Problems Tag http://prescriptionfiction.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/reader-problems-tag.html
    I would love for you to take part, it was so fun to write, and if you do, hop over to my blog and tell me! I'd love to share it around for you!! If not, however, I totally understand! You're a busy busy bee :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. How marvelous and incredibly exciting!!! I'm a firm believer that everything and I mean EVERYTHING happens for a reason!! Not only am I jealous (in a good way) that you got to go to ENGLAND *whispers one day I will go too* but you will be exploring nature in all her beautiful glory. I really hope you get to post not just book reviews but all the amazing things you will be experiencing. And I hope you get to read a ton while under the stars. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear the job didn't work out.... They don't sound very ethical :( Sounds like you're going to have an awesome adventure though! Enjoy your time and I look forward to seeing your posts :D

    ReplyDelete