Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Seven Deadly Reading Sins

I wasn't tagged for this feature exactly, but I saw it on The Book Addict's Guide and thought it was a lot of fun.  Reading has always been an indulgent pastime for me; it hasn't always felt virtuous! So, I felt like I could relate to a lot of this tag's questions.  Let's get to it!



Greed
What is your most inexpensive book? What is your most expensive book?

My most inexpensive books are those I paid the absolute minimum for.  There are quite a few of them.  My appetite for books far exceeds my income.  I get a lot of books for sale at thrift stores.  I borrow books from friends and from the library.  But, since this is all about sins, I have to admit my most inexpensive book is A Game of Thrones because I borrowed it from a friend and never gave it back! *blush*

As for my most expensive book, this still hurts, because it was stolen from me. (Karma, I know.)  It was over fifty dollars.  It was Anatomy for the Artist, and was filled with (nude) photographs of the human body and figure drawing instruction.  It was worth every penny. It was stolen from my studio in college. 



Wrath

What author do you have a love/hate relationship with?

The first that comes to mind is Meg Cabot.  I loved her books when I was a teenager, especially The Princess Diaries, The Mediator, and 1-800-Where-R-U? Then, as she gained popularity, the quality of her books diminished.  They became less witty, original, and intelligent and the stories seemed churned out for a factory.  She recently announced that she would be writing adult sequels for The Princess Diaries and The Mediator and I'm optimistically excited.  Maybe revisiting her old, superior material will spark a revitalization with this author.

Gluttony

What book have you devoured over and over with no shame?

Thank God the parameters read "no shame" because there are some books that I've read over and over that I'm definitely ashamed of.  But I have a series that comes immediately to mind for this situation.  Lindsay Buroker's Emperor's Edge series.  I am a glutton for these books.  I've read them countless times and it's only been about a year or less since I first stumbled across them.  The first book is free on Amazon, so you have no reason to not go download it. Now. 

Sloth

What book have you neglected reading due to laziness?

To Kill a Mockingbird. I was never forced to read this book in school so I never did.  I've tried to, but laziness always prevails.  The more I age, the more embarrassing this gets.

Pride

What book do you talk about most in order to sound like an intellectual reader?

Ha! I've said more than once that King Lear is my favorite Shakespeare play.  I haven't even read it all the way through!!! *Hides face*

Lust

What attributes do you find attractive in male or female characters?

In regards to male characters, I love it when they're talented in a specific field/have something else to do besides solely moon over their love interest.  I'm thinking of The Scorpio Races' Sean Kendrick, Saving Francesca's Will Trombal, and The Emperor's Edge's Sicarius.  Sean Kendrick is an expert in his field; no one knows horses better than him on an island that's defined by horses.  Will Trombal is a school leader, with his life planned out, with high aspirations and goals.  Sicarius... is a master assassin and busy doing secret things that I can't mention because spoilers.  In all of these cases, these fictional males are attractive love interests because they have other things to occupy them.  It makes their eventual relationships more meaningful, because they make love a priority in their already busy lives.

Envy

What book would you most like to receive as a gift?

A copy of my favorite childhood novel, Mr. Revere and I, which is out of print.

/  /  /  /  /  /  /  /  /  /  /  /  /  /  /  /  /  /  /  /  /  /  /  /  /

That's all seven! If you read this and have a blog, please consider yourself tagged!





7 comments:

  1. Oh great!! I actually wrote this tag for my blog a while ago, but it hasn't been uploaded yet cause I got into another thing and I didn't actually get tagged by anyone! I'll put it up in two weeks and I'll try remember to link back here for you :D
    I like to pretend I know all about Shakespeare's 'Taming of the Shrew' when really I've just seen the film '10 Things I Hate About You' a million times... Shhh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'll be checking your blog to look out for your post. So happy that I was able to 'tag' someone! :D Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I'm doing this tag as well! I'm reading King Lear in school right now and so far I am enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! This is a really fun tag to read. I'll be keeping an eye out for it. I'm glad you like King Lear. I really do enjoy the play, even though I haven't read all of it.

      Delete
  3. It's a shame your most expensive book was stolen! All three of those series you mentioned by Meg Cabot were ones that I have read when I was a young teen! I loved them! But yeah, after those I didn't really like the others so I stopped with those three too :P I didn't have to read To Kill a Mocking Bird, but did out of choice. It was a bit slow and I didn't like it much :/

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/10/perspective-dead-poets-society-35.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm glad/sad to see we agree on Meg Cabot. Will you be reading her adult sequels of PD and the Mediator?

      Delete
    2. I know I will be!
      I'm actually re-reading her Mediator series right now in preparation (and yes, I AM aware that the Mediator sequel is supposed to be published in 2016... :P). I guess I am just that excited :).

      Delete