Monday, July 4, 2016

Wink Poppy Midnight » Book Review

You need to be in the right mood for Wink Poppy Midnight. Unfortunately, I wasn't. I looked at my stack of library books and thought, Wink Poppy Midnight is the shortest of them all. I'll read it, review it, return it, and the librarians won't hate me!

I wasn't having a great day, and I needed a book that would take me away from it all. I had this frantic sort of energy, the desperate need of an engrossing novel, but what I got was pretty words and a whole lot of nothing. If I had been in a softer and calmer state of mind, I daresay I might have enjoyed Wink Poppy Midnight a tad bit more.

Ellen reviewed it a little more favorably than I. Here is a link to her review.

Wink, Poppy & Midnight


The story is told in three alternating perspectives of varying length. We have Wink who is a strange red-headed girl who has many brothers and sisters and a mother who can read palms and tarot cards. Then there is Poppy, our resident mean girl. She is beautiful and cunning, and filled with a rage and sorrow she can't control. Lastly there is Midnight. He is an uncertain boy, torn between Poppy's beauty and Wink's whimsy.

As the description reminds us,
Every story needs a hero.
Every story needs a villain.
Every story needs a secret.

It is up to the reader to figure it out.

Writing & Pacing


The writing is intended to weave around your mind and bewitch you. At least that's what it seemed like was the purpose. My energy was too frantic to be soothed in that manner. I was just profoundly irritated. JUST SAY WHAT YOU BLOODY MEAN.

For a short book, it dragged on quite a bit. Nothing really happened in the first half of the book. The author took a long time to set up everything up. I found it difficult to stay focused and hold my interest. The 'action' only began much later and I wasn't very surprised by anything that happened. At that point, I didn't care for any of the characters anyway.

Last Thoughts


Surprisingly, I enjoyed Poppy's story arc the most. And while I didn't care for the characters, I could say that I had some semblance of understanding for Wink, Poppy and Midnight. After all, I'm a little like Wink. I am always searching for a captivating story, hoping to be the hero in my very own epic.

 

6 comments:

  1. Meh. I'm a lazy reader. And this book sounds like it's going to make me work so hard for it. I think I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, you aren't the first person I know to not like this one :( have heard that it is pretty long winded and that there doesn't seem to be much of a point, and that sounds pretty much like what you're saying too. So sad, mostly because the cover looks pretty. Which is probably a terrible reason to add a book to my TBR to begin with so... yeah, off it goes. Especially because I really cannot take 3 people being named Wink, Poppy, and Midnight seriously. I just can't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It did make me work a lot more than I wanted! I'm pretty lazy too :P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I know right?? I tried to let it go. I can handle Poppy, but Wink and Midnight? Wtf???
    I don't blame you for loving the cover though. It is gorgeous! I do wish the contents matched the beauty and wonder of the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard so much about this book lately - from negative to it's amazing...I definitely want to see what it's about!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please do! I'd love to hear you thoughts on it too.

    ReplyDelete