Saturday, July 2, 2016

Prudence » Book Review

Prudence was everything my heart desired. I had been holding off on reading this series because I worried that it wouldn't be as good as The Parasol Protectorate and wouldn't evoke the same sense of love and nostalgia. I needn't have worried.

For those who are unaware, all of Gail Carriger's works (with the exception of a few short stories) take place in this alternate steampunk history where werewolves and vampires have been integrated into British society. Timeline wise, the books start with The Finishing School, followed by The Parasol Protectorate, and then The Custard Protocol.

Please keep in mind that my following review will contain spoilers for The Parasol Protectorate (though I shall endeavor to keep them to a minimum).

Rue & Crew


My favorite aspect of Carriger's books have always been her trademark wit/humor and her characters. Rue is no exception. She isn't a carbon copy of her mother, Alexia, either. And her relationship with her best friend, Primrose (Ivy's daughter), isn't at all like the relationship Alexia had with Ivy in The Parasol Protectorate. This is a relationship between equals and based on a twenty-year devoted friendship. I adored them.

Ivy's twin brother, Percy, is also a part of the crew. He is an academic, and lured aboard to accept the post of Chief Navigator. He brings along Footnote, his cat, and an entire library (which my soul appreciated). And as Rue believes, every ship needs a cat. Hear hear!

Rounding out the crew, we have Quesnel Lefoux, who is the son of Genevieve. He is hired on as the Chief Engineer. He is a ridiculous flirt, and we see a spark of interest flying between Rue and Quesnel. I look forward to seeing how that will progress. I love the way Carriger has developed the romance between characters throughout all her novels, so I am sure this one will be no different.

"Rue gave a little mental sigh. No one would ever describe her as deadly attractive. She brightened a bit. Perhaps she could aspire to just deadly?"

Rue & Family


Rue is the biological daughter of Alexia and Conall Maccon, but she was 'officially' raised by our favorite vampire, Lord Akeldama. Lord Akeldama is one of my absolute favorite characters in this Victorian world. I giggle when I picture his sense of fashion, I chuckle when I read his dialogue with his daughter and other valued companions, and I admire his ability to hide his keen mind behind a sense of frivolity.

I love practical Alexia, who referred to her pregnancy within The Parasol Protectorate series as 'infant convenience'. The relationship between Alexia and Rue is just as complicated and fraught with tension as any regular mother/daughter relationship would be.

"I must say, like most daughters, I resent being accused of emulating my mother."

Rue in India


Rue is metanatural, sent on a mission to India by her adopted father Lord Akeldama to acquire a special kind of tea. I was delighted with this premise for two reasons. Firstly, because I adore Indian chai and I wanted to know what Rue would think of it, and secondly, because I was curious about how they would depict India

This quote very accurately sums up Rue's abilities and her relationship to supernatural creatures that are not part of her family:

"Rue raised her bare hands. Her best threat to any supernatural was her metanatural state. Few immortals could face the idea of being mortal, even for a short space of time. It was what made Rue's preternatural mother so universally despised. The idea that not only would he lose his form, but someone else would have access to it, was adding insult to injury. Where a soulless was merely the enemy, a soul-stealer was dishonorable, a defiler of the supernatural state. Rue was not just despised, she was vilified."

In India, we meet vampires (also known as Rakshasas), English soldiers, and some familiar werewolf friends. I was delighted with the intermingling of Indian folklore with the traditional tale of vampires and werewolves. However, as a born Indian, I do have an inherent dislike of British colonial rule that did come up after I concluded the novel. Particularly after Rue did this one thing...

[spoiler]The Varanas (the were-monkeys) and Rakshasas are at an all-out war. Within Hindu mythology, Rakshasas are demons while Varanas fight against them. The eternal enmity makes sense. However, because the vampires and werewolves can co-exist in Britain, Rue expects the same out of these two factions. But the Varanas refuse to be on the same treaty with the Rakshasas and hence, are at a stalemate. Rue talks them into allying with the Shadow Council, and since that is closely aligned with Queen Victoria, essentially means that they are on the same treaty after all. Rue gains the outcome she wants through a semblance of trickery without making a genuine effort to understand the culture. [/spoiler]

While I understood it within the context of the story, upon further reflection, it did aggravate me. Another situation of white people coming and telling another culture what to do, what is right, and what is wrong.

Fashion & Tea


As any fervent Carriger reader would know, fashion, food, and tea play a significant role in all her novels. Hence, there is an exquisite amount of detail paid to dresses, parasols and (my absolute favorite) hats. Tea is required at all times, and delicious goodies are frequently mentioned. I always need a delicious goodness while enjoying a Carriger book. I mention this because I'm aware that there are those out there that find these details frivolous and unentertaining.

I recommend Gail Carriger's books for all those out there who enjoy a healthy dose of whimsy and silliness with their Victorian steampunk.

The next novel Imprudence releases July 19th, 2016.

6 comments:

  1. So I didn't know that her books are all somewhat interrelated. Is it necessary to read all of them before jumping into The Parasol Protectorate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would definitely recommend starting with The Parasol Protectorate. I chose to go in publishing order, and that worked out really well for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, I definitely want to try this series, it just looks so much fun and I liked her YA one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I'm dying for the sequel. Only a few more days to go! Have you read The Parasol Protectorate series yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I need to continue with The Parasol Protectorate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please do! I adore the series so much.

    ReplyDelete