Thursday, May 19, 2016

How To Be a Beta Reader » Part Two

Yesterday, in my post, How To Be a Beta Reader » Part One, I talked about my experience beta reading for indie author, Celine Jeanjean. Today's companion post will go into detail about how you can become a Beta Reader as well!

So, the first thing that comes to mind is this — you need to decide what kind of beta reader you want to be... casual, serious, or paid.

How To Become a Casual Beta Reader


beta readerIt's very easy to become a casual beta reader, because there are tons of casual writers out there desperate for praise I mean "feedback." Ha.  Here's a post that lists FORTY websites where you can start critiquing (and find a critique partner for yourself as well). Even if you have zero editing experience, it won't be hard to find a writer to pair up with.

I'll also add that you can become a beta reader for fanfiction writers without too much trouble.  Hey, don't knock 'em until you've tried 'em! Famous authors such as Rainbow Rowell and Cassandra Clare started out as fanfiction writers! Where do you start on that front? Fanfiction.net has a system where members can begin Beta Reading as early as a month after signing up.  LiveJournal still has a thriving fanfiction community — it's easy to message writers you admire and ask if they want extra feedback. Archive Of Our Own is tricky — they have no private message system — but you can usually track those writers down on other fanfiction sites or leave a public message.  The key is to reach out!

How To Become a Serious Beta Reader


This level of Beta Reading may not happen overnight, especially if you want to read for a serious and skilled writer. There are, however, steps to make this less casual hobby start happening.

First, you have got to start building a little resume and body of experience in the writing and editing fields. I know it seems weird to do this, and all for something you'd do for free, but this is more about bettering yourself to become skillful at writing critique and less about becoming a writer's toady. Also consider that writing skills are so multipurpose.  You can use whatever abilities and experience you get on your real life CV. You're not going to be putting in serious hours just for a pastime.

If you're still in school (high school, college, or university) building your writing and editing resume is SO EASY. You can usually walk-on to a magazine or newspaper staff.  Even if you can't get on the staff of the main newspaper or magazine, peripheral editorials are always there. I know from experience that the hyper-religious campus newspaper is always hiring.

Again, if you're still a student, try to find work at your school's Writing Center.  I worked for my university's center and it was one of the best jobs I ever had.  Not only that, but it gave me crucial writing and editing experience.  And if you can't get taken on there, visit as a client! Take in your own writing and take in some valuable critique techniques.

Speaking of "critique," learn how to do it! Critique truly is an art of its own and alongside creation, it has its own challenges.  I learned how to do it through 1) intense art classes, 2) reading many books on writing craft, 3) working as a trained tutor, 4) crafting my own creative works, and 5) writing a ton of reviews. Time and time again, people I critique for praise me for my feedback. IT IS A LEARNED SKILL.  Tune in for my upcoming "How To Be A Beta Reader: Part Three," because I'll go into critique in detail.

As for the actual beta reading, go visit those nifty websites and advertise for a writer to pair with.  Ask prospectives for a few sample chapters and really pick and choose.  If you're going to be investing your precious time and effort free of charge, you'll want to find a writer whose work you really respond to.

Also, you can familiarize yourself with the thriving indie scene.  Most all of these self-published authors have websites and public emails.  Shoot them a note listing your experience and your willingness to beta read.  You may not get the author you want, but some authors are sure to bite, especially if you market yourself well.

How To Become a Paid Beta Reader Or Editor


There is nothing wrong with wanting to get paid! Seriously, a skilled beta reader and editor is someone of great value and it is perfectly legitimate (though difficult) to seek payment for your time.

In humility, I can't give too much advice here, because this is the stage I'm working towards right now. What I do know is this — you need a professional resume and work experience to back up your bark.

Having an online presence also helps, and unless you're a social prodigy with a magnetic personality and buckets of time to spare, this can take years to build. However, this part can be a lot of fun.

To build your notoriety online, you need a website. Obviously, an e-commerce site is good if you want to get paid, but you should also have a voice.  For this, I recommend blogging.  Aside from building friendships, it's a valuable networking tool if you're going to run an online business. Try to reach out to the people who will be paying you — ostensibly indie authors and writer-hopefuls.

I think debut author Ava Jae did this brilliantly.  For years, she's been cultivating her blog, Writability, even before she got her novel Beyond the Red published.  She has a YouTube channel that she updates religiously and she really reaches out to her readers and fanbase. So, when she unveiled her new freelance editing site, she generated a lot of buzz. I don't know her figures, obviously, but I thought her move from blogger to author to online business owner was neatly done.

Yet To Come...


In Part Three I'll answer the timeless questions...

What is critique?  

How is it done?

Which is more valuable to culture? Critique or creation?

7 comments:

  1. You have some really great advice here!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I personally enjoy "sign up for your campus's hyper-religious newspaper if all else fails." LOL I DID THAT

    ReplyDelete
  3. How To Be a Beta Reader » Part Two https://t.co/Z4xCVwmEpX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. Interesting. I've never given much thought about being one, because I don't really think I'm the most reliable feedback-giver. Also, I have a million books in my TBR so I hardly have the time. But these are great, Ellen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Joy! I've been having a great time writing this feature! As for your feedback skills, I know that you're scheduled with your reviews. And you've written a deep collection of criticism over a wide swath of genres. That speaks for itself. It's more than many beta readers can say for themselves! Of course, beta reading can be a pretty big time suck. But I have no doubt that IF YOU WANTED to try your hand at the practice, you'd be more awesome at it than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for covering this topic! It's a lesser known part of any writing project and doesn't get the time is deserves. I used to post on FictionPress and both had and offered my time as a beta reader. I find myself feeling bad more often than not, cause it's hard for me to be critical without thinking I'm hurting someone's feelings, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, it can be very hard to make criticism constructive and not harsh. It really is an art and a balancing act. I like to compare good criticism to using a wooden practice sword. You can get in a good whack, but ultimately, it's not lethal. Skills are learned and everyone lives to see another day!

    ReplyDelete